Glenn was known as a Renaissance individual with unbounded curiosity and an extensive variety of friendships, knowledge, capabilities and careers. Following graduation from the University of Washington (Physics), he supervised instrumentation at Boeing Environmental Test Laboratories. As the first Sound Engineer at the Seattle Center, one of his fondest memories was having done sound for the Beatles in 1964. From the Center, he was hired by the Music Department at the UW where he taught undergraduate and graduate courses in acoustics, laboratory instrumentation, recording technology and research methods as well as developing design for and installation of sound systems for university buildings. Glenn collaborated with several architects on acoustical design; auditoria resulting from these collaborations include the 1980 renovation of Seattle’s Fifth Avenue Theater, interior renovations at Saint Mark’s Cathedral, Tacoma’s Rialto Theater, Walla Walla University Chapel, Princeton Seminary Chapel and Vassar College. For the last 16 years of his career he was a Field Applications Engineer for engineering companies, including DLI Engineering on Bainbridge Island. He wrote The Audio Dictionary (UW Press); its 3rd edition was co-authored with Gary J. Louie.
Glenn’s love of music, inflamed by Vilem Sokol, and passion for instrumentation led him into recording interests. He recorded the Seattle Youth Symphony concerts for over 20 years and many professional musicians benefited from his expertise. His passion for organs grew into an initial partnership in Olympic Organ Builders with David Dahl, Professor of Music at Pacific Lutheran University and later with James Ludden. He is responsible for designing and installing nineteen organs in PNW—including the one suspended in St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on lower Queen Anne, featured during the Organ Historical Society Convention 2009.
Concurrent with his years at the UW, Glenn became passionate about wine. In 1972 he and three friends formed European Vine Selections—one of Seattle’s 1st boutique wine shops, initially located in Fremont—now on Capitol Hill. He was a founding member of the Pacific Northwest Enological Society; the first of its prestigious wine judgings occurred around his dining room table. Glenn loved great Bordeaux and was especially fond of Château Leoville-Las-Cases.
Rarely has Earth known a kinder soul who thoroughly enjoyed the five senses God gave man. His wonderful spirit is now free from the limitations imposed by Lewy Body Disease. Previously married to Janet S. Heller White, he is survived by his wife, Carolyn, his sister, Marylyn Graham, her son James and extended family and friends. His parents, Frances and Glenn D. White, are deceased.
A memorial service was held on Thursday, December 18th, at 2:00 p.m. at Saint Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral on Capitol Hill 1245 10th Ave. E. A reception and reminiscences followed. Memories can be posted online at funerals.coop In lieu of flowers, remembrances may be sent to:
Glenn D. White Scholarship Fund in Physics
University of Washington
Office of Gift Processing
Seattle, WA 98195-9505
| Cathedral Foundation of the Diocese of Olympia
1551 10th Ave E.
Seattle, WA 98102
CodaNote: These links will be enabled as time permits.
Bulletin from Glenn's service
Interview, by Erik 4A, part 1
Interview, by Erik 4A, part 2
Glenn is hired by the City of Seattle as the city's first sound engineer.
Last modified 05/29/2015 2:52:53.